Feb 16

These steps are based upon the work of Thomas Ruhl and Jeff Doozan. They deserve the credit for this work. I have only simplified the installation steps from those put together by Thomas on the Squeezeplug wiki site http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/SqueezePlug.

*** If you are using a Pogoplug be aware that some models of Pogoplug WILL NOT WORK with this! ***

I am using a Pogoplug Pink model POGO-E02. You can find the model number on the base of the Pogoplug. Some newer models including some of the “Pink” models may not work and you risk bricking your device.

Step 1. Things you will need:

Hardware

• A USB Flash drive for the operating system. I used a 4Gb Sandisk Cruzer drive.
  • An external USB hard drive for storing your music files. As big as you need!

Software

• A copy of the latest Squeezeplug Dockstar image from Thomas Ruhl’s website (squeezeplug.de)
  • A copy of USB Image Tool from here (www.alexpage.de)
  • Putty which is a program that allows you to run a command line console on the Pogoplug from your PC. You can get it here. (note that you only need Putty.exe; not the additional programs)

Step 2. Setup your music hard drive.

Format your external hard drive (NTFS or FAT32 is fine), setup a partition and copy your music files onto it. You can use sub-directories on it if you wish because the Squeezebox Server will scan those too.

Step 3. Copy the Debian image onto your USB Flash drive.

• Do a virus scan on the Squeezeplug Debian image file and then run it (it is a self-extracting .exe file)
  • Extract the USB Image Tool. Plug your USB Flash drive into your PC and run the USB Image Tool.exe file. You should see your USB drive in the main window like this:

USBit1

• Now select the Options tab and check all of the boxes.
  • Ensure that the USB Image Tool is set to “Device Mode” (see the upper left corner of the window).
  • Now click the “Restore” button. You will be prompted to select the Debian image file that you extracted earlier. The restore process took about 15 minutes for me.

Step 4. Load a new bootloader onto the Pogoplug.

The bootloader is responsible for getting the operating system started on the Pogoplug. Basically it runs after power is turned on and “loads” the main operating system. We need to change the standard bootloader so that we can use our USB Flash drive. I’m going to assume that you have already registered your device on the Pogoplug service.

• Plugin and power up your Pogoplug. Connect it to your local router.
  • Login to the Pogoplug service website my.pogoplug.com. Enable the “Use full security sessions” setting in the “Security Settings” page. This enables us to use SSH (secure shell) as our communications medium with the Pogoplug.

• Determine the IP address of your Pogoplug. You can find this from your router, usually in the DHCP settings page or a status page.
  • Start the Putty application and enter the Pogoplug IP address in the “Host name (or IP address)” field. Ensure that SSH is selected. Click on the “Open” button. You should get a new window with a login prompt. Login with the username “root” and password “ceadmin”. Note that these will only work with a Pogoplug. Other devices will have different usernames and/or passwords. I believe that the login for a Dockstar is “root” and “stxadmin”.
  • Now enter the following commands (note that Linux commands are case sensitive!):

cd /tmp

wget http://jeff.doozan.com/debian/uboot/install_uboot_mtd0.sh

chmod +x install_uboot_mtd0.sh

export PATH=$PATH:/usr/sbin:/sbin

./install_uboot_mtd0.sh

Respond to the prompts and the new bootloader will be installed.

• Power down your Pogoplug: enter the following command:

halt

• Wait about 60 seconds and then unplug the power. You can close the Putty window now. Plug your USB Flash drive into one of the USB ports on the Pogoplug and then plug the power back in.
  • After a minute or so the Pogoplug should be restarted. It may have a new IP address so go and check that; the device name in your router’s DHCP client list will be “squeezeplug”. Start the Putty application again and enter the new IP address and open the connection.
  • Login with the username “root” and password “nosoup4u”. You will see some introductory messages. Note that the date and time will be wrong. You now have a basic Debian operating system running on your Pogoplug!

Step 5. Configure the system to run Squeezebox Server.

• Plug your external hard drive (the one with your music files) into a USB port on the Pogoplug.
  • Enter the following command in your Putty console window:

fdisk –l

You will see something like this:

fdisk1

• Note the Device listing tables, these show your hard drives, including the USB Flash drive. The first two (SDA1 and SDA2) are the operating system partitions on your USB Flash Drive. The final listing (sdb1) is my external hard drive that holds my music files. Note down the device name (/dev/sdb1 in my case).
  • Enter the following command in your Putty console window:

setup

You will see the following window:

setup1

The instructions are fairly self-explanatory here. The operating system already has basic networking setup so you don’t really need to do anything with that.

• Select the “Library” configuration option then select the type of drive you are using (it is likely a USB drive). The configuration script should detect your external USB drive. Check that the device name is the same as you recorded earlier and proceed.
  • After the configuration has finished go ahead and let the Pogoplug reboot (this is an option in the script).
  • Log back into the system again using Putty and run the “setup” command again. This time select the “Install” option. This will install the Squeezebox Server application onto your device. You can install the default version for now and update it later.
  • If you want to install the newest stable version you need to find the nightly builds. You don’t need to download anything here but you do need to copy the link address of the version that you want to use. I would use the latest stable build (7.5.3 at time of writing this) Go to that page and copy the link address for the “squeezeboxserver_7.5.3_all.deb” file. It’s at the bottom of the list. When prompted in the install script you can paste that link into the script.

You may see some errors while the install script runs, don’t worry too much about these because the script has some built in correction. You will see errors relating to missing MySQL files if you use the default version. The script will install these. When prompted you can enter a MySQL password if you wish. The complete install will take several minutes.

• Startup your web browser and type in the following address:

squeezeplug:9000

This should start the Squeezebox Server configuration. Follow the prompts. Note when asked to provide the location of your music files, they should be in the “/music” directory. The server will now scan all of your music files to build a new database.

Congratulations! You have now completed the basic setup of your Pogoplug (or other device) as a Squeezebox Server. In the next post we will do further configuration of the operating system to enable extra functionality.

107 Responses to “Setup your Pogoplug as a Squeezebox Server”

1. Hi!
    Thanks for these instructions. What is not obvious is wheather the “normal” Pogoplug interface will still work after this modification (i e changing the boot-loader). Can you tell me, please?

• steve says:

Basically, no it will not work. When you install the new bootloader you are given an option to disable the Pogoplug service. The reason for this is that if you rebooted back into the original Pogoplug installation (by removing your USB Flash Drive and restarting) an automatic firmware update from Pogoplug could change the bootloader back to the original or a newer version! This would then prevent you from booting using your USB Flash Drive. It is possible to completely recover the device back to the original Pogoplug software if you decide you don’t want to use the Debian version any longer. All of the files are still present, you just have to make some changes to re-enable the Pogoplug service.

2. Shai says:

Hi,

Are you sure that to enable SSH access you need to check the “Use full security sessions” checkbox? From the help for that checkbox it seems this only affects communication with my.pogoplug.com
    I have been unable to open the SSH port, no matter what the state of this checkbox is …

Shai

• steve says:

I did make a mistake in that I described the wrong checkbox, you are correct that the one I listed is for enabling SSL not SSH. I have corrected that in the post. If your Pogoplug is connected and detected by the website then an additional section titled “Pogoplug” will appear. This has the checkbox to enable SSH. In any case, you don’t really have to use SSH because its just your local network, you could use the “raw” connection type in Putty for example. Please let me know how you go.

3. Kurtois says:

Steve,

Looking forward to trying this write up. Unfortunately, I am running primarily OS X over here. I am going to try and come up with a box that runs Windows for this and other projects.

That said, can you add specifics on the size USB flash drive required? I noted you said you used a 4GB. I have several 1GB flash drives available. Is that sufficient?

Thank you again for this write up. I hope to try this out soon.

Kurt

• steve says:

You can do all this from OS X.
      First, to copy the image file I think you can follow the instructions here: http://mohrt.blogspot.com/2009/05/burning-img-to-usb-flash-drive.html.

Next, instead of using putty, you just need to start up a terminal window and use the ‘ssh’ command. I believe that the syntax is:

ssh username@ip address

You do need to use a 4Gb drive because the file system image file that you will copy to the drive is almost that big.

• Kurtois says:

Attempted to get an 8GB flash drive setup with the Dockstar image file using OS X 10.6 – Snow Leopard. Here are some notes:

-The image file downloaded is in a self-extracting .EXE that cannot be (easily?) extracted under OS X.
        -The image file was reported corrupt by Disk Utility.

Given this grief, I then moved to virtual windows machine on a separate OS X machine I have and performed the steps which assume a Windows machine, as listed. No issues encountered.

4. popemello says:

I successfully installed the squeezeplug server, and all worked well until I installed some 3rd party apps. I think it was trackstat, but I now cannot access the web interface for port 9000. Is there a way to uninstall and then reinstall the server, or remove installed plugins via putty? Even if I could revert to a “default” state, that would be helpful, as I cannot access the server with the squeezebox touch currently. Thanks!

• steve says:

I haven’t used trackstat so I don’t know if it has any problems. However, you can try restarting the squeezebox server daemon. You can do that either by just rebooting your pogoplug (or dockstar or whatever you are using) or you can login via putty and execute a restart command:
      /etc/init.d/squeezeboxserver restart
      If that doesn’t work, then you can remove the server by using the following command:
      apt-get remove squeezeboxserver
      You can then reinstall it using the setup script that was used to originally install it.

5. DJ van Maanen says:

Hello,
    Just have taken all the step mentioned above. But no succes, next message appears:

# Validating existing uBoot…
    Block size 131072, page size 2048, OOB size 64
    Dumping data starting at 0×00000000 and ending at 0×00080000…
    Connecting to jeff.doozan.com (69.163.187.226:80)
    ## Unknown uBoot detected on mtd0: 188602682dada4308e3d9945c3f6b6ed
    ##
    ## The installer could not detect the version of your current uBoot
    ## This may happen if you have installed a different uBoot on
    ## /dev/mtd0 or if you have bad blocks on /dev/mtd0
    ##
    ## If you have bad blocks on mtd0, you should not try to install uBoot.
    ##
    ## If you have installed a diffirent uBoot on mtd0, and understand the
    ## risks, you can re-run the installer with the –no-uboot-check parameter
    ##
    ## Installation cancelled

What now? Is there a way to solve this problem?
    Tanhs for helping me out! DJ

Hi DJ,
      Shouldn’t be too hard too fix. I’m assuming that your device simply has an newer uboot already on it that the install script doesn’t recognize.
      First note that the install script is only intended for use on one of the following devices:
      Seagate GoFlex Net, Seagate Dockstar, Pogoplug V1, or Pogoplug Pink.
      If you are not using one of those, then you shouldn’t try to use these instructions.
      Now, if you are using one of the listed devices, then you can try to force the install by opening a terminal window using putty (as in step 4) and instead of typing
      install_uboot_mtd0.sh, you can add a switch to force it:
      install_uboot_mtd0.sh –no-uboot-check
      Note that there are two dashes at the start of the switch. Hopefully that should get you back on track!

6. DJ van Maanen says:

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your answer. I have a Pogoplug Pink. Unfortunately also with the input of your write up it still doesn’t work. See the next tekst form the putty-window:
    root@192.168.1.38‘s password:
    ~ # cd /tmp
    /tmp # wget http://jeff.doozan.com/debian/uboot/install_uboot_mtd0.sh
    Connecting to jeff.doozan.com (69.163.187.226:80)
    /tmp # chmod +x install_uboot_mtd0.sh
    /tmp # export PATH=$PATH:/usr/sbin:/sbin
    /tmp # ./install_uboot_mtd0.sh–no-uboot-check
    -sh: ./install_uboot_mtd0.sh–no-uboot-check: not found
    Thanks! DJ

DJ,
      it looks like you may have omitted a space character between the command and the switch.
      So after ./install_uboot_mtd0.sh you have to add a space and then the –no-uboot-check.

• DJ van Maanen says:

Thanks Steve, everyting worked well (If you could have seen me you would have seen a dutch guy with red cheeks; ommiting a space character……) DJ

7. Jay says:

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your instructions….but can you help me with step 1?

It says: A copy of the latest Squeezeplug Debian image from Thomas Ruhl’s website (squeezeplug.de) <—which one do we select for the PINK pogo?

Thanks,

Jay

Hi Jay,
      The version you should use is called SqueezePlug_DockStar_Image. It’s currently version 3.50. The Seagate Dockstar and the Pogoplug are almost identical except I think for the LED on the front of the device. There are a few patches that you could apply but you really don’t need to. I’ll do a writeup on applying the patches sometime soon.

• Jay says:

Steve, many thanks – got it up and running!

Can you help me get the smb.conf going? I am trying to
        1) Disable any guest access
        2) Set up a user (Jay) that HAS access

I somehow get completely stuck even after reading up on smb.conf unix commands

• steve says:

In the smb.conf file there is a line in the #### Authentication ####” section that controls the type of user access. This line is “security = user”.
          Edit the file using nano and uncomment this line. Now all Samba access will require a valid Linux account on your device.
          The easiest way to set up access for a specific user is to use the command line. Login in to your device as root using putty and type the following command:
          useradd -d /home/jay -g users jay This creates a basic Linux user account with a home directory and a group membership.
          Now change the password:
          passwd jay Respond to the prompts.
          Now add a Samba user and password:
          smbpasswd -a jay and again respond to the prompts.
          Finally restart the Samba service:
          /etc/init.d/samba restart

• Jay says:

Also – would you mind updating us on how to apply the 3.5x patches please?

8. Matthew says:

Hi Steve,
    Great write up. I did have the squeezebox server running on the Pogoplug with Archlinux but this setup is much easier for a non Linux guy to play with. Works great and thanks for posting.

Regards
    Mat

9. Ron says:

Steve, Great explanation. However, I’m afraid to end up with a non-usable Pogoplug Pro. I understand that by installing the bootloader, you tinker with the pogoplug filesystem itself, and restoring to factory settings is not possible. Do you think there is a significant risk of breaking the system?

I am proficient with windows-based systems, but not with Linux. Currently, I’m running a Vortexbox system on an old PC (thanks to some great help on the Vortexbox forums), but I’d prefer to use the pogoplug since its energy consumption is lower.

Hi Ron,
      These instructions are NOT intended for the Pogoplug Pro. This is because the Pogoplug Pro uses an ARMv6 CPU versus the ARMv5 CPU found in the Pogoplug Pink and Dockstar. I suspect there are likely other hardware differences also. So I don’t recommend you try to use this method on your Pogoplug.

10. Jay says:

Steve – Hope you moved by now and things went well – Would love to see an updated how-to

Another Q in the mean time: How do I make the POGO after a HARD-RESET boot back into the USB-flash, as with the external USB HD attached it seems to revert back to the normal POGO software instead?

• steve says:

Yep all moved in now :) although I have to do a lot of painting and other fixes too!
      Anyway, I have been taking a look at the update scripts and want to make a few fixes to them so I’ll post about that when I have it worked out.

On your reset problem, I assume you are removing the power plug to do a “hard reset”. I haven’t experienced the problem that you describe, does this only occur when the hard drive is attached?
      I think that possibly your hard drive and flash drive are being mislabeled upon startup so that when the device boots up and looks for an OS it gets the hard drive and flash drive mixed up. Then, because it can’t find an OS to load on the hard drive, it defaults back to the original Pogoplug system. There is an easy fix for this:
      1. Boot the Pogoplug without the hard drive attached.
      2. Login to the device using Putty.
      3. Connect the hard drive.
      4. Execute the setup command and run the “Library Music-Library Configuration” option.
      This should find your hard drive and properly configure the bootup configuration.
      5. Reboot the Pogoplug.

• Jay says:

Steve,

Many thanks I am going to try that.

Another question: Is there any way we could get this setup to work with a HFS+ drive instead of the NTFS I have use now?

11. MisterJig says:

hi,

4GB is no more ok because the image file is right now > 4GB.

Bad timing today i buy a 4 GB stick and now i have to wait till 2morrow ;)

• steve says:

Hmmm, The version 3.50 image file fits ok on a 4GB USB flash drive; I’m using it now!

• MisterJig says:

oh, ok than it was my fault sorry.
        i have the same hard reset problem, and a other q after i install the sbs how do i start it without reinstall ? afer a boot.

thx for the guide.

• steve says:

The Squeezebox server should be starting automatically after a reboot. If it is not, then you can use Webmin to set it to start at each system boot. Open the Webmin interface and then expand the System menu on the left hand side of the page. Click on the Bootup and Shutdown menu option and you will see a list of process name. Find squeezeboxserver in the list, check the checkbox and the n click on the Start on Boot button at the bottom of the page.

12. Kurtois says:

Well, attempted the install tonight after setting up the USB Flash Drive w/ Debian OS. No success. What that means:

As directed, connected flash drive to DockStar; device seemed to alternate between amber and green flashing LED. That said, I tried plugging the flash drive into various USB ports with no change. I am able to ping the device (yes, I am checking IP table to ensure I have the right IP address by MAC address). I was able to SSH into the device, but the login is unchanged, i.e. ‘nosoup4u’ is not a valid password.

Upon inspection of the flash drive, I see two partitions. Let me know if I can provide more detail.

• steve says:

Kurt I assume that you are using the original log in password (stxadmin for a Dockstar).
      If that is the case, then login using Putty and type the following command to list the drives that the OS can see:
      fdisk -l
      Hopefully you will see your USB Flash drive listed there (see picture on Step 5 of the first post for an example listing). If the drive is listed then the OS has recognized the drive but has not used it for boot. The drive list will show an asterix next to it if it is the boot drive.

I think the first thing to do is trying to load the bootloader again i.e. basically do Step 4 over. This should change the default bootloader so that it looks for an external drive first (i.e. USB Flash Drive).

• Kurtois says:

Thank you for the reply.

I performed the fdisk -l command and was able to get output similar to your PuTTY screen grab. That said, I am wondering if my problem lies in the fact that the _new_ web interface for the Pogoplug forced me to change root’s password. I changed it to something non-standard, not the default password of stxadmin (given it is a Seagate Dockstar). That said, perhaps the script relies on that password? I attempted to alter the password using ‘passwd’, but received an error of the password not being strong enough (something along those lines).

13. Daniel says:

I am aware that the current Pogoplug I own (Pogoplug Pro) houses a different processor than the old Pogoplugs (V1, Pink), so is installing Debian still possible with my device?

Also, what sort of features are available (links?) if installation is possible?

• steve says:

I don’t think Debian is available yet though it may become so in the future. There is another type of Linux called Optware that you could try. You can read about it here As always, be sure to understand what you are doing and follow the instructions carefully.

• Daniel says:

Yeah, that is what I currently have on my Pogoplug Pro. I got it going with Samba showing my 2TB external drive on my Windows machine. The software is just limited to terminal commands and no real UI other than the SWAT web interface. I was looking for something a little more flashy, and with some sort of DLNA server, which is what attracted me to the Debian option. I will keep an eye out for updates.

Thanks for the help

• Daniel says:

Wow, maybe if I do a little more research before asking for help I would have realized that miniDLNA is in fact available in the Optware repository.

The bit about Optware not being flashy still stands though.

14. Gerard de Vries says:

Steve,
    Let me start by saying thank you for such a nice setup. I got it working without much of a problem. Just found the waiting hard :) I even configured it to play the music from my NAS without problems.
    I am now listening to my pogoplug squezeebox server playing my music over my Boom box.

I do however have 1 strange problem. When I try to log in at squeezplug:9000 I get the Sign In screen but it doesn’t respond in anyway to information entered here, right or wrong.

Any suggestions?

• Gerard de Vries says:

Forget this remark I found it. Problem with these 24″screens is that if the button is small and in the bottom right corner I might now see it.

Cheers
      Gerard

15. Tony says:

Does this work with Squeezebox Server v7.6.1?

16. Jay says:

Steve,

Any chance of you doing a complete update of your post, to help us n00bs achieve the same?

17. Pete says:

Thanks for all the work you are putting into this website.

This is probably something really dumb but when I type the setup command I get command not found – where would you expect the file to be? Do I need to mount the USB stick?

18. Pete says:

Worth pointing out that to get usbit to work in device mode you may need to run it as administrator.

19. Pete says:

Because of using the wrong image from Thomas Ruhl’s website.

20. Peter says:

Hi, I followed your instructions ok until the point where it needs to boot from the USB stick. At this point, the pogoplug light turns orange and it is not detected by the router. Any suggestions on what I can try next please? Thanks, Peter.

• steve says:

Peter, if the orange light is on then the Pogoplug has booted into its native operating system (the Pogoplug OS) rather than from your USB drive.
      I suggest trying a different type of USB drive as I have found that some may not work. I use a Sandisk Cruzer micro drive.

21. Andy says:

Thanks for putting this together. Got it all working on pink pogoplug along with samba file server.
    Have you tried setting up a printer as i am having no joy. Any pointers appreciated.

• steve says:

Hi Andy, I haven’t tried to use printer with it yet. I have just got a new Canon wireless printer though so I may try to configure that with the Pogoplug soon.

22. LarryGT says:

Hi Steve,
    Thanks for all this info. Having just got my hands on a Touch, I’m looking at getting either a Dockstar (I already have a 1Tb Seagate flex with all my music on) or a Pogoplug to stream rather than DI into the Touch.

One thing I can;t quite disentangle from the notes here is whether after the mods, the Pogoplug device will continue to operate as a NAS device that is remotely accessible over the internet or whether it becomes solely a Squeezebox server drone. I ask for two reasons:
    1) the Dockstar is available for about half the price of the Pogoplug but only comes with one year’s access to the Pogoplug cloud service: if my tinkering disables the cloud/internet accessibility then I might as well go for a cheaper Dockstar to act as a Squeezebox server alone and in parallel buy a Pogoplug to act as my NAS for other home and away-from home storage

2) as I am adding music all the time (including re-ripping old tracks at a higher quality), I wan to be able to address and re-sync the drive I attach to the Dockstar/Pogoplug with new music on my PC. Is this still possible with the modified box ?

Apologies for asking what might seem obvious questions from a Linux dunce !
    LGT

Hi Larry,
      The Pogoplug will still function as a local NAS after the mods, in fact that is the main way that I use it. As well as using a Squeezebox touch and the Squeezebox Server software, I have an LG BD650 network Blu-ray player that has DLNA capabilities and can also browse and stream media from other networked devices so I use the Pogoplug as a server for media files to the blu-ray player. I have been thinking about how to use it for remote access as well and I think you could do that but it will take some extra work as you need a way to access the device remotely, this might be done using a service such as DynDNS. I haven’t tried this yet but probably will give it a go sometime. There are some applications for setting up your own “cloud” service much like the Pogoplug online service. One I have been looking at is called “Owncloud” and seems to provide the functionality that I would like. You can read about that at owncloud.org.
      As for your second question, yes you can access the drive from your PC. I use a PC application called Syncback (freeware) to regularly synchronise a PC drive with the Pogoplug drive. You can also access the Pogoplug drive from Windows Explorer. The Pogoplug drive will appear in Windows under “My Network Places” (in Win XP anyway) and you can browse, copy etc just as for any other PC drive.

23. Ardan says:

Hi Steve,
    I have gotten to the point where it is suppose to boot off of the usb drive. The box never is assigned a IP and the light on the front doesn’t flash. The Network activity light flashes a good bit but never comes on the network. I have tried a kingston and a sandisk usb keys but no joy with either.

• steve says:

Hi Ardan, sorry to hear you are having problems.
      Can you check what model of Pogoplug you have? The model number can be found on a staicker on the bottom of the Pogoplug stand. Apparently there are some newer Pogoplug Pink models coming out that have different internals to the original and may not work with this install process. My Pogoplug is a POGO-E02.

24. Ardan says:

Hi Steve,

Yes, mine is a pogo-B01…..I think that it is bricked….I cannot connect over the network at all so I am not able to access it to try anything…..

Thanks Ardan

25. Declan says:

The link to get the “Latest Debian image” of SqueezePlug is dead. This is from SqueezePlug.de. The link is http://squeezeplug.de/?page_id=2

The download page doesn’t mention Debian anywhere. There is a DockStar and Seagate Flex image.

How far behind is this to the official Logitech Media Server?

What are the performance differences between this and the normal server running on a computer?

Does this version run BBC iPlayer because previous versions of NAS servers didn’t?

Declan, thanks,
      I have updated the links to reflect changes to Thomas’ website. If you have a Dockstar or Pogoplug then use the Dockstar image. Debian is simply the name of the type of Linux operating system used in the image.
      The latest image uses LogitechMediaServer v 7.7.1 which is the latest available. You can easily update the server at any time including using nightly builds if you wish.
      I have not noticed any performance issues using a Pogoplug Pink and I doubt there would be any noticeable difference between this and a PC as the server only has to pull the media file from a hard drive and send it out over the network. You can also make some performance tweaks from the webpage interface.The server uses very little CPU time and memory on the Pogoplug.
      I haven’t been able to run the BBC IPlayer but that could be because I don’t live in the UK. I don’t know if anyone else has had any luck with it.

26. Murali says:

I would like to thank you for putting all this together and also be willing to answer so many questions. This is the stuff I was looking for and many thanks for that.

My model is :POGOPLUG and I should be using the “SqueezePlug_DockStar_Image” – Is that Correct ?

27. Murali says:

Hello Ardan ,
    Any luck with recovery ? I also ended up in a similar situation as you following the install instructions above. My Pogoplug model is POGOPLUG, perhaps not a good candidate for this install. But I jumped straight ahead and bricked my pogo. Anyone on this forum ran into a unbootable pogo ? And any success on recovery, would appreciate if anyone can shed some light on bringing this baby back up.

28. Declan says:

Thank you very much for putting up my comment. So just to re-iterate: you have a PogoPlug Pink Model No. POGO-E02 and you have used the Dockstar image. There is a Dockstar Rootfs image below it, is this just the underlying operating system? The performance I am concerned about is the database scanning for “Changed or new music” running over USB. I have used Linux over USB before and it wasn’t very fast. Can this system cope with FLAC or WAV streaming? Presumably if one is using FAT32 drives and the local samba server you have read/write access unlike the current PogoPlug implementation?

Again thank you very much for your attention.

• steve says:

Yes I have a Pogoplug Pink model POGO-E02 with Dockstar image.
      I think the Rootfs image is just for use with Virtualbox if you want to try it out before installing it on your device.
      Correction: the Squeezeplug virtual machine is a separate download; I dont know why he has a Rootfs image.
      I just did a scan on my library, about 8000 MP3 tracks took just a little over 4 minutes, that’s using a USB connection on a 5400 rpm notebook drive. I have adjusted the scanner priority to get better performance; you can do this in the advanced tab of the Logitech Media Server settings webpage.
      I haven’t tried using FLAC or WAV yet; re-ripping my audio library is a future exercise! However, I do use the Pogoplug for video streaming (720p quality) through my Blu-ray player which connects using a CIFS/SAMBA login so I think it would handle higher quality audio quite well also.
      If you configure SAMBA on the Pogoplug then you can have read/write access to the drive from a PC.

29. Declan says:

Re: BBC iPlayer. Sorry for mentioning it, but I remember posts about AlienBBC some time ago saying that the, I think, ReadyNAS version didn’t have Read Player codecs. I also think I read something similar about NAS versions concerning flash player that the BBC iPlayer now uses. Note that the BBC has stopped using Read Player for its streams. The fact this version uses the up to date Logitech version is very good news since versions in the past had to be specially packaged I believe.

• steve says:

I dont know why BBC Iplayer doesnt work, the notes state that it should work at a lower bitrate in countries other then the UK. I’ll have to research that a bit more I guess.
      Also a quick correction, you should run the latest patch “SqueezePlug Patch 4.07″ to install the latest MediaServer version. Its easy to update after loaded the image.
      Install the patch from the SqueezePlug update routine: Setup>Misc>Update-SP.

30. Declan says:

Thanks for this, it certainly sounds as if things in the NAS world have improved over a very short time. When I first got a squeezebox there were lots of grumbles about NAS based servers, and I thanked God I didn’t have one. Now things appear to be looking up. I was under the impression that the Touch had a built in server? Is there any reason why you would be using a PogoPlug? Does the PogoPlug have better performance than the Touch?

• steve says:

The Touch does have a built in server so you can attach a USB drive directly to it and play from that. I prefer to use a separate NAS as I also stream video and audio to other devices and wanted to have a single repository for all my media files. The separate NAS also lets you read/write directly from a networked PC whereas I don’t think you can do that for a USB drive attached directly to the touch. Note I haven’t actually tried it though! I suspect performance of the Pogoplug NAS would be similar to the Touch but again I haven’t actually compared the hardware specs. I doubt there would be a noticeable difference. I think that the Touch server can act as a DLNA/UPnP server as well so it may be able to stream to other devices.
      I’ve also got BBC IPlayer working now, the quality seems to be quite good but I don’t know what bit rate or media format is being used. There are configuration settings that allow you to choose the preferred priority of different IPlayer formats.

31. Declan says:

Thank you for your comments. I had forgotten that, I don’t think that with all the publicity of the touch anything was mentioned about networking the USB attached disk. I have been trying yesterday to get the SqueezePlug VM working. It did work, but I had one problem. I wanted to network the Music folder that I have on my mac. This has test tracks on it. This was impossible using samba. I could network the drive alright, by sharing the drive on the mac. The SheevaPlug has an option in setup to install Webmin (not very good – it reminds me of a fourth generation language, Btreve I did at Polytechnic. It asked all the questions about what you wanted to do and generated a piece of COBOL code at the end. If you needed to amend the COBOL you were on your own. Btreve was more trouble than it was worth. Webmin is like this.) With Webmin you can set up external networked drives, but you can’t get rid of them if they go wrong! The Filemanager worked once and then complained that Java couldn’t trust the certificate.

I got the Mac Music folder mounted OK. Then it broke, and I had to get it back. I managed this, however LMS refused to scan the database. I was taring my heir about this. I then noticed in the log that there was a permissions problem with the folder. I had to open everything up on the Mac side even though I was logging in (not very securely) on Linux. I changed my username on the Mac to make it more amenable. Nothing was having any effect. I eventually set up another non root user and that was able to see the music folders. I found the LMS had its own user “Squeezeboxserver” that wasn’t a login account. I had to put the new user group into the squeezboxserver group in order for LMS to see the network share. The files had the group “dialout” in the Music folder. I added this group to the LMS user. This had no effect. The only thing that did have an effect was adding the new user group to the LMS user. I am getting a periodic error of

“[ 98.652318] CIFS VFS: server xxx.yyy.zzz.qqq of type Samba 3.0.28a-Apple returned unexpected error on SMB posix open, disabling posix open support. Check if server update available.”

Looks as if it is still in a sulk. All this is not very nice. I also tried NFS along the way, but that failed. The machine went on a go slow and I got rid of it and started again. This happened several times.

So for SAMBA networking on SheevaPlug VM:-

1. Make you Music folder shareable on the host OS.
    2. Open the network share to everyone. Why this is necessary when you are logging in to the share I don’t know?
    3. Make sure you user name on the host is a single word. If it isn’t change it!
    4. Set up your music library using setup on SqueezePlug. When SqueezePlug talks about “Samba Server” it means the host.
    5. You should now have a working network drive of your Music folder where you wanted it.
    6. Now create another user.
    7. Add the user you created’s group to Squeezeboxserver user.
    8. LMS should now be able to see and scan your Music folder!

As to point 2 above, it seems that the login may not be working? However if that is the case why was Squeezeboxserver given access to the drive? Don’t like the way this security is implemented with the usernames and passwords in the fstab file. Note that the samba.conf file talked about making a “domain controller” in order to create samba users. This seemed over the top.

I thought I would share my thoughts regarding this VM. I ran the patch last night, and it didn’t work. The server is still showing 7.7.0 version.

Any thank you again for your attention. I am in two minds to take the PogoPlug back. If it is going to be this difficult to get it to work, I think I will stick with the mac. However I now no the pitfalls and this problem won’t happen again. I will be using USB drives next time. It is the unknown gotchas that you always get in Linux that I think I probably don’t need when making a music server.

• steve says:

I’m not sure why you are having so much trouble with Samba, its been very easy for me.
      I also use Webmin as its preinstalled as part of the Dockstar image and find that its quite easy to use.
      Samba may not be the best option for you to enable file sharing with your Mac. Samba is intended to allow Windows OS computers to see shared files etc on a LInux/Unix box.
      It’s really an implementation of the Windows OS file sharing protocols.
      Have a look for file sharing between Mac OS and Linux, eg: file-sharing-from-linux-to-os-x-a-quick-guide

32. Declan says:

Thank you for your tip about netatalk. This will be useful if I go ahead and set up SheevaPlug for real. I’m still not sure about this. I did a spreadsheet showing the different scanning times for each server:
    using main old pc (fastest)
    SqueezePlug VM networking to mac,
    SqueezePlug VM USB (4x slower than SQ networked),
    LMS 7.7.1 Mac version 67% of the networked SqueezePlug VM scan.

These were the time/track values. Calculating the total scanning time by the number of tracks in the database. The old PC had over 1000 tracks. Everything else had less than 100 tracks. The scan times were:

SqueexePlug (Networked music folder) 1s. 45 tracks.
    Old PC 99s . 2087 tracks.
    SqueexePlug USB 11s 45 tracks.
    Mac OSX LMS 7.7.1. 1s. 67 tracks.

The big performance hit is using USB. The old PC used SqueezeCentre 7.4.1.
    The SheevaPlug VM used 7.7.0 (upgrade was unsuccessful).

I have since found out that the SqueezeBox Classic can wake up the mac from sleep even if the Server Power Control plugin isn’t installed.

What is your workflow when adding new music to your server on the PogoPlug. Do you rip CD’s on your PC and copy over or do you do it over the network? How long does it take to copy ripped music over?

Do you have backup solutions in place?

I was reading an old thread about ReadyNAS and they were saying that the Squeezebox web interface performance was dreadful? I’m assuming that the real SqueezePlug LMS web performance isn’t abysmal.

I am sort of thinking of leaving the Mac sleeping when not in use and waking up when using Squeezebox. Shutting down at night and starting up in the morning, possibly using scheduling in Energy Saver preferences.

I was very disappointed to find out that the Mac can’t wakeup from shutdown like a PC can. I then tried to find out about performance issues with NASes. I had previously found out that they did have some issues.

I now can’t make up my mind. If everyday operation (adding music) is difficult or time consuming I will abandon this.

At the moment the performance hit on normal mac operations of LMS seems to be minimal. At the moment I really don’t know what do do.

33. Murali says:

Hello Steve,
    Thank you for the answer. Yes I did use the docstar image but ended up bricking my pogoplug, because I thought it was applicable to any pink pogoplug. I have since found that my pogoplug is a pro model. Now that I bricked this, is there any way I can restore this. I have been scouting on the net for a solution but most links I came across talk about some serial conection and restore using some very special serial cable but it is possible only if the NAND is not completely toast. I have a feeling my NAND is completely gone, as I have no light coming at all. Appreciate any leads to recover this. It was stupid on my part to have attempted this in the first place. Kindly include in your tutorial that this is not applicable to POGOPLUG PRO models, at the very begining so others can be warned.

34. Brad says:

Hi Steve
    First of all let me thank you for taking the time to post such great instructions. I am a complete newcomer to this type of stuff. I have been looking for a way to free my squeezebox system from my laptop and was not keen and wanted to do it on a budget. Found a Pogoplug E-02 for $50 and convinced myself I could follow your directions. And I did… Last night I won’t through it all to the point that I had the squeezeplug media server working, my Sb classic and radio both using it and my iPeng controlling it. Only problem (remember, I am not a programming guy) is that I only had radio… turns when I configured my library I pointed it to the wrong partition on my external HD. This is where things started to go badly. I ran the setup again but could not get it to see the other partition. So I decided to use Samba to copy my entire 40 gb or so onto the right partition… Which was going to take 24 hours or so. This is when I rudely pulled the hard drive USB out of th pogoplug, plugged it into the computer and proceeded to copy the files onto the correct partition. Problem is, I then unplugged the Pogoplug, attached my HD back or it and plugged it in…. And now it does not show up on my Network, there is no IP showing on my router, and I can’t contact it with Putty. The light is on on my HD, the USB flash is still in the pogoplug and lights are flashing around the USB port where the HD is connected…. But no sign of the plug on the network. Squeezeplug:9000 of course is not being found either. My question is: is there a point in the process that I can go back to to start this all over? Any ideas on what has gone wrong? Thanks muchly… Apologies for the long post and my total lack of expertise!

35. Brad says:

Hey Steve… Scratch that last one. I got it working and am loving it. Thanks a bunch from a total n00b.
    B

36. Dirk Lovelace says:

It works as you said it would Rusty on my pink pogoplug 2. Very slow while it is scanning but once its done very speedy for a plug computer I paid $30. Thanks again!

37. WDB says:

I just found a Pogoplug at Best Buy for $29, it is Black but has the same model nuber as the Pink one used in this guide. I figured even if I bricked my Pogoplug, it it was worth trying at the price I paid. I followed the guide and it worked for me.

Thanks

38. Dirk says:

Got it working! Also using with my wd tv live to act as a dlna client! Thanks

39. Jason says:

If I install the smb server, will this remove the default the pogoplug functionality?

40. Hoop says:

I installed squeezeplug on my goflex net, which has only one USB port. Seemed to work up to the point of attaching my USB hard-drive with my music. As soon as I remove the flash drive I booted from, no commands work. Cannot run setup, or anything else. (“command not found”) I’ve got very limited linux knowledge, but it looks the squeezeplug environment is on the flash boot drive, and as soon as I switch to the music drive, I Iose all but basic linux functionality.

Can I put a boot partition on the USB harddrive so it will boot from the same drive that has the music on it? I don’t want to have to crawl under my desk and keep switching back and forth every time I lose power. (lots of thunderstorms in Alabama)

• steve says:

You’re correct that the system boots from the USB flash drive. It is possible to setup a boot partition on a hard drive, in fact I’ve been meaning to do that myself for some time. I’ll dig up a bit of information about that for you and post it here.

41. Hoop says:

One more thing: I did install the rescue system to boot from NAND, and it works, but what use is that? The squeezeplug environment is not there. Is the squeezeplug setup too big to fit into NAND? It would be great if I could boot from NAND with the complete squeezeplug server etc., and then use the USB port for the music drive.

• steve says:

I’m not familiar with the “rescue system” you mention but the idea of leaving the NAND intact and using a USB flash drive is so that you can easily revert to your original system without having to reload any software. Loading the squeezeplug environment onto your hard drive would resolve this issue for you.

42. chris says:

Hi,

got a problem logging in with putty. After typing root as username, putty hangs by prompting root@192.168.2.104‘s password:

i can´t type in anything

anyone any ideas?

Hi Chris,
      sorry but I don’t have any ideas about this. All I can suggest is to try and redo the installation process.

43. Nandan says:

Thanks for this detailed documentation. Helped me setup without much issues.

44. Jim Provenzano says:

Hi Steve,

Just got the pogoplug and will do the set up in coming week. For the USB Hard Drive, does it matter if it is USB powered, or is it preferable to use one that has its own power cord?

45. Lucasii says:

Hello,
    can you tell me one thing, If I set Pogoplug as a server for LMS, will I be able to set Polish language an the SqueezeBox Classic?.

Now my LMS is on the computer with WIN, and device language is Polish,
    but whan I connect device to mysqueezebox.com the language is English.
    ?
    Thanks.

46. David says:

Thanks for these instructions. I have a quick question: is there any advantage or disadvantage to using an 8 or 16Gb USB stick VS a 4Gb stick?

• steve says:

The only advantage to using a larger flash drive is that you could use the extra space for storage of files.

47. Luis says:

I followed your instructions but when asked if I wnated to keep the original startup script (or something like that) I replied Yes. I know nothing of Linux and was unable to start the squeezebox server or its setup.
    I then ran the install again but if one tries and run it again the option when one is asked to replace the startup script with the pogoplug service to a new one does not show anymore.
    What will you recommend me to do next? Thanks

48. Han says:

Do we need to expand rootfs on the USB since I have a larger flash drive?

• steve says:

If you use a larger flash drive you can expand the partition to use all of the available space using a tool such as GParted or EASE US Partition Master.

49. Tommi says:

I install the image on a 16 gb flash drive but its not showing the full amount of the flash? Do I need to expand rootfs inorder to use the free space?

• steve says:

If you use a larger flash drive you can resize the partition to use all of the available space using a tool such as GParted or EASE US Partition Master.

50. Tommi says:

I installed the image on a 16gb flash and it’s only showing 1.9Gb available free. Is there a way in increase it like expanding rootfs or somehow recover the remaining space on the flash drive?

51. Ed says:

I have been using the pogoplug as a squeezebox server for a few months now . But one thing that bothers me is when I reboot I sometimes loose my setup . I have to enter my media file directory in the settings again. Otherwise I don’t have access to my library .

Is there a setting so I don’t loose my setup after reboot ?

Thanks for your help

Ed,
      I’m not sure while this is getting changed. You could login as a root user with Putty and check the configuration file with this command:
      cat /etc/fstab
      There should be lines at the end of this file like this:
      # Setting from the SqueezePlug script starts here:
      UUID=E2ECE2BFECE28CDB /music ntfs-3g defaults,locale=en_US.utf8 0 0

If it’s not there, try to manually edit it and enter the information, you can use the /dev/sdb format rather than the UUID.

52. David says:

Hi Steve,
    Thanks for the wonderful instructions. I followed your instruction and successfully installed squeezeplug media sever and samba. However I only used it for one day and then everything stopped. I installed again, but only squeezeplug is usable now. Samba never works again no matter how I adjust it. I’m totally new to Linux. Could you please tell me how to take my samba back? It’s looks even I start from the beginning, I still can’t wipe everything I already put in the pogoplug. Is there any way to wipe the pogo and then I can do clean install again? Thanks a lot! .

• steve says:

If you make changes to the Samba configuration then you must restart the Samba servers.
      So, login as root user, and enter following command:
      sudo service smbd restart

If you want to start from scratch then just format the flash drive and start over at the beginning.

53. tony says:

Hello, I have been running version 4.06 on my pogoplug for a couple of years and it worked perfectly until the usb stick got corrupted. However, i need to download the dockstar image again and I cannot find the link because it was removed. Does anyone have the sp_dsgf_406.zip file they can send me?

Thanks,